Saturday, December 26, 2009

Images of Death Kappa

Below are a few images of the crew (and main kaiju star) of Death Kappa (Japan-[in production]; dir. Tomoo Haraguchi).


 
 

Kaiju Search-Robot Avery has discovered this interview with director and SFX wizard, Tomoo Haraguchi.
Well, you know, it [making monster films] wasn't really a choice per se; it was just that I liked hanging out around the props. I mean, any kid would. I'd hang out in the art department and ask them to let me help make buildings for the monsters to destroy, or repair the monster suits.
I think it [using monster suits] also has roots in the Edo period, in the tradition of kabuki theater. Whenever an oni, or a tiger, or a giant snake, or some other kind of creature appears onstage, they're portrayed very similarly to the way Godzilla was -- by actors wearing suits. I definitely think that the idea of putting an actor into a monster costume came from that tradition.
Read the full interview here.


No comments: